Tuesday 12 May 2020

Baptism Testimony

A testimony has traditionally been about your life story up to how you came to Christ, but mine is not about that.  It's about Jesus and my relationship with Him. I grew up in a Christian family going to church religiously every week, several times a week. Like so many, I believed that because I went to church, I was a Christian but the fact is I wasn't. I was just going to church and going through the motions. I believed in God, I owned a Bible & sometimes I prayed, but I have since realised this isn't being a Christian, it's going to church. A favourite phrase of mine is 'sitting in church doesn't make you a Christian any more than sitting in a garage makes you a car or sitting in Macdonald's makes you a hamburger'. For me being a Christian isn't about duty or being seen to be doing the right things, it isn't about religion and man made rules and regulations, it's about My personal relationship with Jesus Christ. A close intimate relationship closer than that of a sibling or a best friend. I have found the best way to cultivate a close bond of friendship with someone is to really get to know them, to spend time talking with them and in their company. I am so blessed to have friends like that here today. A close relationship with Jesus, our Lord and Saviour is no different. It took a devastating event in my life to realise I'd got it all wrong and seek God possibly truly for the first time in my life. To put my trust in God to look after me and guide me along the path that was His Will for my life, not the one I had chosen for myself that had subsequently gone horribly wrong. 


Life with Jesus is not a bed of roses and anyone who thinks all their problems will disappear when they become a christian is sadly mistaken. But. Without Jesus I wouldn't be here. Not just on the here on the beach making a declaration of faith, but I literally wouldn't be here. Jesus is my Saviour, my comfort, my provider, The One I can trust without question, knowing there is no ulterior motive for help or answer but that everything God does is because He loves me so much He sent His only Son to die for my sins, my failings, all my wrong doing, and He would still have Jesus if it was just and only me that needed saving, but it wasn't it was all of us. As the human race our purpose for being here is to have a personal relationship with Jesus who is God our creator. It's not about being religious, it's about having a simple faith. Faith & Trust in God and having a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. 


The following words have become an anthem for how I want to live my life....


All I have and all I am is Yours; there's nothing that I have on earth
that doesn't come from You.
I lay aside my pride and worldly worth;
serving You is the greatest thing
that I could ever do.
For unless You build this house,
I am building it in vain.
Unless the work is Yours,
there is nothing to be gained.
I want something that will stand
when Your holy fire comes;
something that will last,
and to hear You say 'well done',
giving glory to You, Lord.






No comments:

Post a Comment